5 Common Head Lice Problems:
Pesticide resistance to head lice
Head Lice Stigma
Loss of school days for children
Loss of work time for parents
Failure to remove all nits leading to recurrence of head lice
- 5 Common Head Lice Problems: Pesticide resistance to head lice. This 2016 study showed that head lice have developed 100% resistance to the most common pesticides (pyrethroids) in OTC lice treatment preparations. What this means is that when parents utilize these OTC treatments, head lice are not being completely eliminated. Hence parents have a false sense of security that their children no longer have head lice. When in fact the head lice colony is still active.
- 5 Common Head Lice Problems: Head Lice Stigma. First of all in 2018 there exists a strong stigma towards head lice. In addition this head lice stigma can lead school administrators, staff and parents to act irrationally and impulsively. The lice stigma leads to behaviors of shame, secrecy and failure by parents to report lice and treat lice.
- 5 Common Head Lice Problems: Loss of school days for children. Head lice are not known to carry any form of communicable disease. Yet schools continue to send children home from school because of a head lice diagnosis. This results in interruption to the learning process which is unnecessary.
- 5 Common Head Lice Problems: Loss of Work Time for Parents. In cases of head lice the school nurse will often contact the parents and ask the parent to leave work to remove the child from school. With both parents working and crunched for time, this creates a huge inconvenience for families. In addition parents often opt for OTC lice treatments, hoping to find a quick-fix solution for head lice.
- 5 Common Head Lice Problems: Failure to remove all nits leading to recurrence of head lice. In fact the majority of parents do not understand the most effective technique for the removal of all nits. Hence the lice eggs, which are impervious to chemical lice treatments, remain viable after treatment.