Head Lice and the Environment
Here at NitWits, we have a strong environmental mission: not only do we want to keep toxic pesticides off of kids’ heads, we also want to keep it out of the wastewater stream. We want to tread lightly on the earth and educate others to encourage them to do the same.
First and foremost, toxic chemicals and pesticides do not belong on anyone’s head, let alone children’s’. Yet every year, when kids get lice, parents mistakenly pour tons of pesticides on their kids’ heads and down the drain. Not only do they not work, but they are leading to chemical-resistant “super lice” and contaminating groundwater reserves.
We provide highly effective, eco-friendly, pesticide-free head lice treatment that only require one visit for results. And, we are committed to educating families, schools, and communities on the benefits of natural treatments and environmental sustainability.
Here are some of the ways we achieve our mission:
- Applying pesticide-free, toxin-free, and environmentally friendly products in our treatment process.
- Using at least 50% PCW recycled paper products in our office and salon.
- Using reusable cloth towels and capes, laundered on-site with biodegradable and fragrance-free laundry detergents. All of our cleaning products are non-toxic. .
- Educating the public on the dangers of pesticide use in common lice removal treatments, reducing the amount of pesticides used and in the environment.
- Remaining a local business; giving back and supporting the local community.
- Utilizing, selling, and distributing non-toxic hair care and lice removal products.
The biggest takeaway is this: you can be tough on lice, but kind to the planet. You don’t need harsh chemicals and toxins to rid your family of lice. With a little knowledge and a lot of caring, you can treat lice safely and naturally.